The No Diet Blog

« | Home | »

Top Fat-Burning Breakfast

By Linda | January 23, 2012

Best Weight Loss Breakfast

What single food do you think is most linked with weight loss?  Celery? Chicken breasts? Neither.

A detailed 20-year study conducted by Harvard School of Public Health looked at food choices and weight changes in over 120,000 health professionals. Those who lost weight or maintained a healthy weight ate the most yogurt. They also ate the most nuts.

The study also showed a slight fat-burning advantage to whole milk products over skim and low fat dairy – more evidence that fat may help in the war on fat.

Interestingly, whole milk yogurt and nuts, both fat-rich, are not at the top of most diet lists.

Co-author Dr. Frank B Hu explains yogurt contains healthful bacteria that in animal studies increase production of intestinal hormones that enhance satiety and decrease hunger.  The bacteria may also raise the body’s metabolic rate. Studies show fat people and animals harbor unhealthy GI bacteria.

If you want to take this one step further, choose plain whole goat’s milk yogurt topped with freshly ground flax or chia seeds, almonds and other nuts.  Fruit adds sugar to a protein meal, which will not help in your quest for weight loss.

Goat yogurt contains double the fat-burning short and medium-chain fatty acids of cow’s milk.  These fats not only help you lose weight, they nourish your GI tract.  Cow’s milk does not have this level of fat-burning potential and can actually lead to bloating and other digestive problems.

Ground seeds and nuts add a nutty, almost grain-like sweetness and texture, plus  you get  metabolism-boosting properties from the omega-3 fats of flax and chia seeds.

Dariush Mozaffarian, epidemiologist and lead author of the study said in an interview, “What you eat makes quite a difference.  Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kind of calories you’re eating.”

My favorite breakfast has long been a big bowl of creamy goat yogurt topped with ground flax seeds and other nuts. It is filling, energizing and satisfying.  It is also one reason I have reached a comfy size 2 without cutting fat or calories.

Topics: Breakfast | 15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Top Fat-Burning Breakfast”

1. Pamela Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Linda,
    Does sheep yogurt have a similar fat profile to goat?

2. Valorie McClellandOlympia Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 10:13 am

Interested in Linda’s comments regarding sheep yogurt

3. Linda Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 10:47 am

According to the Wisconsin Sheep Dairy Cooperative, sheep is almost double the fat content of cow’s milk yogurt. Goat yogurt falls in between. Feed and breed of sheep or goat impact the fat content so you will get different values if you look for nutrient tables on line. Goat yogurt can run from 40% to over 50% of calories as fat. Sheep milk is closer to 60% fat. There are more short and medium chain fats in both sheep and goat milks than there are in cow’s, making them both easier to digest and burn off than cow’s milk products.

4. Valorie McClellandOlympia Says:
    January 24th, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Linda.

5. Raz Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 6:54 am

On yogurt packaging, it usually states a percentage of fat (0%, 3%, etc.). If whole goat yogurt is best recommended, what % of fat on the lables should I be looking for?

Also, you stated “a big bowl” of yogurt for breakfast. How much is “big” (cup-wise). How many tbls. of nuts would you recommend to add to that for breakfast?

6. Linda Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 7:55 am

The % of fat on a U.S. food label is given in terms of the daily value (DV). Nutritionists usually speak of percent of calories from fat, which is different from DV. I don’t find the DV useful. Daily value for fat is 65 grams and for most people this is too low, less than 30% of calories from fat. On a yogurt container, look for fat grams ranging from 6 to 10 grams for an 8 ounce serving. A big bowl for me is 6-8 ounces yogurt with about a third of a cup ground nuts/seeds. I have a big appetite in the morning.

7. Patricia Marino Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

wow, really helpful and encouraging.
    Thanks, Linda.

8. Andria Says:
    January 29th, 2012 at 9:58 am

You introduced me to plain, whole goat yogurt and I love it! So do 2 out of my 3 girls:) I assume your lunches and dinners are loaded with high and healthy fat? I am at such a standstill right now with my weight. I have been laying off of sugar a lot but not sure what else it could be…

9. Linda Says:
    January 29th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Yes, I do use a lot of butter and duck fat in my veggies. I love avocado, nuts and goat cheese as well. As for weight: it is usually excess carbs that keep weight on: the bread, rice, noodles, potatoes…. We need some carbs, so don’t try to go too low carb. The better carbs for weight loss and health are rice, winter squash and sweet potatoes. Wheat based foods like pasta and bread are associated with weight gain, diabetes, bloating and other digestive problems and, in some, psychological problems.

10. Andria Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 8:02 am

Yes, the excess carbs do keep it on and make it hard to lose. I noticed that if I eat more carbs than normal for a few days in a row, I gain weight quickly these days…..hmmmmm

11. Robert Says:
    February 23rd, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Andria,

Perhaps the weight gain could be from increased water retention. I’ve been eating too many carbs lately, and I’ve noticed my lower body is starting to look a bit more bloated than normal. I haven’t been overeating, but rather eating too much of the wrong foods (i.e. grains and sugars).

From the article, I love the fact that more and more studies are showing that fat may not actually be making people fat. I personally love fat as long as it comes from the right sources (i.e. real butter, coconut oil, avocados, animal meat).

12. christie Says:
    March 1st, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Great articles ……………great questions and responses;;;;;;;;;;;
    thanks….christine

13. Chloee Says:
    March 15th, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hey Linda,
    I didn’t realize that by adding yogurt and nuts to the diet that it would have such a great benefit to me in my weight loss efforts. We have all heard of the benefits of fat from nuts and veggies such as avocados being good for us. Will have to add this to my daily food intake program and see how it helps. Thanks for the great info.

14. Merry Sprosty Says:
    January 13th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

My biggest problem in weight loss are carbs! I adore them and they love me!

15. Linda Says:
    January 13th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

By increasing your good fats and higher quality protein, you will want less carbs. The right fats change brain chemistry so you are happy without the carbs. Seems impossible, but it’s true. when your diet is higher in carbs, the brain is triggered to want even more.

Comments

CommentLuv badge