By Linda | June 6, 2011
Springtime puts many of us in a frenzy to shake off winter fat. What is the quickest way to go about burning fat without sacrificing health? Fasting? Low fat? Atkins?
I’ve watched people gain and drop fat for over 25 years. Here’s my top 5 tips for healthy, speedy fat loss. It is based on what I have observed after working with people for years. It may not be what you read in the media.
1. Lose the sugar. Sugar, whether from fruit juice, candy, cookies, sodas, ice cream or bran muffins, turns into fat rolls faster than anything else. Ask any weight lifter. Sugars flesh us out. Sweeten with lo han or stevia, not sugar.
2. Eat more non-starchy veggies. Broccoli, mustard greens, asparagus, kale and other greens help the liver detox, cleanse the colon, flush excess fluids, and boost energy, which helps burn fat too.
Cook them with beneficial fats for best results. Good fats enable us to absorb the nutrients and they help burn fat.
3. Sleep 8 hours. Getting 6 hours of sleep increases obesity risk by 23%. Down to 5 hours? Your risk just went up 50%. Go to bed by 10 and get up early.
4. Eat more omega 3’s, less omega 6’s. Omega 3 fats (from fish, greens, walnuts, flax) in your cell membranes stimulate metabolism. Excess omega 6’s (from vegetable oils) pack on fat and slow metabolism.
5. Move. Walk, dance, clean the garage. Movement, especially interval training and resistance workouts, will speed your progress.
Share your own tips here.